Sad Passing of Ryder

Ryder the day after he fell
Ryder the day after he fell

Statement from TWU Local 100 on the sad passing of Ryder, the carriage horse that collapsed in August.

We’re all saddened by Ryder’s death. His new owner, who was taking care of him in retirement and made the difficult decision to euthanize in consultation with a team of vets, indicated Ryder was believed to have had cancer. 

Ryder appeared in good health in April when he arrived in the city and passed a mandatory physical exam. He then lost weight rapidly during the late summer. He should have been sidelined then and checked by an equine veterinarian.

This was an isolated incident involving one driver and one horse out of 200. It absolutely is not representative of the entire horse-carriage industry or the high standards to which we are committed. 

Immediately after Ryder’s incident, carriage driver leaders began putting into place internal protocols, such as:

–      Forming a standing Safety Committee to ensure that horses developing any health issues are noticed as soon as possible, regardless of the actions or whereabouts of their particular owners. 

–      Bringing in a new veterinary practice, New England Equine, to visit the stables every two weeks to perform the city mandated physicals and conduct additional body-condition assessments, providing a new continuity of care and layer of scrutiny. 

–      Organizing the first of several planned horse-health clinics for drivers conducted by an equine veterinarian.

–      Electing a shop steward for each barn to provide a new structure and system of internal controls and oversight.

–      Unveiling the Big HEART platform - which envisions additional training, further common-sense regulations, and a stable in Central Park so the horses don’t have to commute on city streets.

We are doing all this in furtherance of our commitment to continue working in the best interests of our beloved horses and their welfare.

Click here to read the Big Heart platform